Thursday, May 31, 2007

Truly "vintage" vintage from the world's most elegant woman

This story was sent to me courtesy of my good friend Ni_de_Montreal; I've since discovered it's all over the Interwebernetything.

The gorgeous hot pink silk cocktail dress worn by Her Wonderfulness, Audrey Hepburn, Queen of Style, in Breakfast at Tiffany's recently sold for nearly $200,000 US to an "unnamed European buyer"--how mysteeeeerious!

This is the auction photo of the dress on the left.


And here is a screen cap of Holly Golightly in the dress, on a date with the dashing Jose da Silva Perreira:












I vote for the revival of the pink tiara...or any tiara, really. Can you imagine going on a date in a tiara? FABulous.

The dress looks slightly worse for the wear in the auction pic, but not bad considering it is more than 46 years old. A few missing rhinestones, a little fading here and there. But still profoundly iconic.

Audrey's black gown (opening scene, looking in window of Tiffany's, eating a danish) went for nearly $1 million and helped finance a school in India. Proceeds from the auction of her black feather-lined cocktail dress were used for medical supplies and other items in India.

Now that's some classy vintage. And that's just the way she would've liked it, I imagine.

1 Comments:

At 8:46 AM , Blogger s.i. michaels said...

Good call. I keep telling myself I'm going to actually bid on all of the vintage hats I see on ebay but I keep balking at the thought that I'll never wear them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home